Principal Engineer – Tunnels & Temporary Works
Location: Leeds, Yorkshire UK
Salary: £80,000 - £100,000 dependant on level of experience plus package including: Private Medical, Company Car and a Bonus scheme.
Working for the largest and leading tunnelling sub-contractor in the United Kingdom providing the highest standard of construction and value engineered solutions to the most integrate and complex aspect of civil engineering.
Currently seeking a Principal Engineer who can take a leading role in overseeing the design team in the production of our designs and development of the engineering. This is a leading role, requiring a high level of creativity within a rapidly growing design team.
Requirements: knowledge, personal skills and experience required:
- You will be highly competent with a proven track record designing and leading in a similar position as principal engineer.
- Minimum of 10 years' experience with expertise in underground structures / tunnelling temporary works and having worked within a design consultancy environment.
- Master's level degree in Civil and Structural Engineering, however, consideration will be given to Geotechnical and Mining degree backgrounds.
- Conversant in Temporary and Permanent works design.
- Chartered or near with a recognised institution, such as the ICE or IStructE, although not essential. Mentoring will be provided to motivated candidates.
- A proven high level of technical skill and competence in structural design skills and a sound geotechnical grounding.
- Team leader capability with the ability to mentor and develop junior and senior within the team.
- Sound understanding of CDM health and safety legislation, and specifically Designer responsibility.
- Excellent written English language and grammar.
Duties & Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manage and mentor the team of engineers and technicians and assist with professional development.
- Mange deliverables to programme deadlines
- Produce designs, checking of others’ and approve designs issued internally and externally to clients. Designs produced to industry standards and codes
- Coordinate external consultants and third-party checkers
- Liaison with clients and the project construction teams
- Typical design applications include
- Shaft design, including buoyant stability, jacking collars, reinforced concrete bases, tremie plugs, cover slabs opening support structures, and all the ancillary associated temporary works structures.
- Tunnel designs for Timber Headings, Microtunnelling/Pipejacking,
- Thrust walls, head walls, launch frames, pipeline proof loads
- Excavation Stability and support, with a thorough understanding of geotechnical principals for shoring techniques and design of sheet piles & frames, PC modular units, king post etc
- Earth work stability slope stability analysis, soil nailing
- Concrete formwork
- Crane platforms.
- Ground settlement analysis, from tunnelling and excavations
For further information on this role and to apply please get in touch.
Navartis Ltd is a specialist recruitment company supplying highly skilled technical and management professionals within the global Transportation, Civil Engineering & Utility industries, if you are seeking a new position our recruitment team can locate the opportunity to suit your needs.