We specialises in high quality mixed use sustainable regeneration in London, schemes that have dramatically transformed large swathes of brownfield land, reviving the city landscape and establishing thriving new communities. We are now renowned as one of the top residential property developers in London.
We are currently looking for a Quantity Surveyor for a new residential development being built in Camden London. This role will be based on-site in Camden London. This role would suit a Quantity Surveyor who can perform the commercial functions on this project.
As a Quantity Surveyor you would be reporting directly to the Senior Quantity Surveyor.
- Commercial Management / Quantity Surveying Qualification (such as HNC / HND or Degree desirable)
- Professional Qualification (such as MCIOB, MRICS, CIPS or SCM desirable) CSCS Card
Experience: Over 5 years experience in high rise residential and mixed use construction / development
As a Quantity Surveyor the job requirements entail:
- Commercial management
- Detailed understanding of project budgets and costs
- Support in the delivery of budgeted profit margins
- Effective main / trade contractor procurement and management
- Understanding of the contract
- Detailed knowledge and adherence to Company Quality Control procedures (TQM)
Daily duties for Quantity Surveyor are as follows:
- Budget preparation; assistance as may be required to work with estimator / PQS in preparing comprehensive budget for Project and working with Senior Development Surveyor in checking and agreeing the same, including
- Providing regular feedback on tendered costs and actual costs
- Assisting with the keeping and providing when request cost metrics specific for the development (i.e cost per ft2, cost per plot etc)
- Undertake Main / Trade Contractor, preliminaries and other procurement in line with St George TQM and Berkeley Group requirements, including
- developing with Technical and Construction colleagues, comprehensive package work scopes and interface schedules
- procuring tenders from main / trade contractors most suitable for undertaking the work to the required quality, within the best programme and at the most competitive price (and within budget), for selection by the project team
- undertaking comprehensive tender equalisation ensuring all aspects of each tender are carefully reviewed and recognised
- placing of robust and comprehensive main / trade contract orders within the planned programme and to the latest and best information. Agree budget allocation.
- Understand the correct management, administration and application of the Contracts (Main, Trade, Sub and Housing Association and any other Contract which involves the Construction process).
- Support and undertake the planning, maintaining and controlling of the financial administration of all construction work on the Development to obtain and maintain maximum cost effectiveness including
- preparation and maintenance of comprehensive prelims and logistics budget / actual cost programme / tracker
- active commercial participation in project meetings ensuring all commercial matters and issues are discussed, investigated and/or satisfactory resolved.
- Proactively commercially manage the main /trade package contracts including
- overseeing the prepare and input white card payment schedule on computer system
- the timely valuation of all site works using the white card
- ensuring timely notification of contractual notices
- timely agreement of any valid variations
- monitoring of contra-charge costs between subcontractors and to be aware and take necessary action of the financial implications should the subcontractor responsible not be able to fulfil its obligations to the Company
- the timely production of weekly / monthly subcontract and variation payments and present for authorisation to Chief Surveyor / Commercial Director
- Support and actively participate with a commercial focus in design reviews, design development, buildability exercises, timely value engineering exercises and risk reviews and the alike.
- Prepare and produce the Monthly cost and budget variance reporting via Commercial Monitor including
- preparation of separate variance reports addressing and specific areas of budget overspend or projected overspend
- Proactively monitor project and site activities and highlight unplanned and/or unbudgeted activities, challenge and advise on the appropriate timely action in conjunction with the Project Director/Senior Development Surveyor.
- Working closely with Technical colleagues and ensure the technical variation orders are obtained and priced from the Technical Department within required time allowance and amendments to subcontract orders are implemented, agree the cost/savings of variation order with the subcontractors. Present explanation of variance reports.
- Working closely with Construction colleagues and ensure any site instructions issued to main / trade contractors are clear and precise. Log all site instructions and those with a financial or time implication are to priced and reported within the Commercial Monitor.
- Working closely with Sales colleagues and ensuring that all purchasers requests for extra works are priced accurately and returned at the appropriate time to the Sales Department with due reference to Construction manager and state of construction.
- Demonstrate leadership in health and safety, environmental and sustainability matters through positive behaviour, understanding and compliance with company polices and procedures and carry out health and safety duties in accordance with company governance.
- Maintaining a responsible attitude to quality to encourage customers to buy the Company’s product.
- Keep abreast of market and industry sector trends.
- Establishing and maintaining personal relationships with external resources and supply chain, and the general public that will reflect favourably upon him/herself and Company.
- Working within the levels (as advised from time to time) of delegated financial authorities.
- Undertaking office administration duties as required, including office and computer files and folders are kept up to date and in accordance with TQM protocol.
- Support the reviewing the training needs of subordinate staff (as necessary).
- Attending training courses as required.
- Preparing reports and correspondence as required.
- Promoting and implements the philosophy of customer care.
- Ensuring tasks delegated by the Senior Development Surveyor, Chief Surveyor and/or Commercial Director are completed on time and to the required standard and accuracy.
- Any other reasonable duties which may be requested of the job holder from time to time.
Culture, values and behaviours
We recruit and develop people who will be most engaged and likely to succeed in our business. We have defined a core set of ‘behavioural competences’ that represent the skills and behaviours which exemplify our culture and underpinning values, under the following headings:
- Planning quality outcomes
- Realising potential
- Leading and motivating
- Agile decision making
- Driving to be the best
- Innovating and enterprising
- Influencing and building relationships
- Resilient and adapting
The framework above will be used to objectively assess all applicants to our roles based on job-relevant criteria and ensuring the process is fair and transparent. The ideal candidate will demonstrate an affinity and aptitude for delivering against the competences, and want to be part of the community both within and outside the role to enjoy a fulfilling career as part of this exciting and dynamic company.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified persons.
We have a current opportunity for a Quantity Surveyor on a permanent basis. The position will be based in London. For further information about this position please apply.